You may be overwhelmed by a large email volume, especially from very active lists.
Table of Contents
You may be overwhelmed by a large email volume, especially from very active lists. Mail distribution agents, such as Listserv and Listproc, can "batch" all postings for a given period of time and send them in bulk. This is generally called "digesting".
These instructions only apply to genuine Listserv software, and not to others such as Yahoo groups, Gmail groups, Listproc, Majordomo, or other list software.
To enable the digest format feature:
- create email to email@example.com
- in the email body, type the single command: set listname digest.
- Substitute "listname" with the name of the list. For example, for the list named "hotnews," type the following line in the body of the message: set hotnews digest
- send the email
Digest does not Work
There are two situations when digesting will not work:
- The list does not have digest enabled. To have digest enabled, contact the list owner.
- Listserv does not know about the list because the list is handled by software other than Listserv or the list is not globally advertised. Contact the list owner for assistance.
Help - Contact the owner
You can contact the list owner in one of the following ways:
- The list owner's address is usually in the mailing you received when you subscribed to the list.
- Often the list owner can be contacted by sending email to "listname-request@host", where "host" is the same domain as in the list name. For example, to send email to the owner of the list firstname.lastname@example.org, send the email to email@example.com.
- If all else fails, you can post to the list; however, this should not be employed unless all other measures have failed.
List owners are responsible for all questions from list members
- The Listserv web page has links to useful information.
- List members should contact their list owner(s) for help at <firstname.lastname@example.org>. For example, if the listname is "clocks", send email to <email@example.com>. If you need help contacting the owner, please contact the ITS Service Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 315-443-2677.
- List owners may receive help by sending email to email@example.com or contacting the ITS Service Center at 315-443-2677.