Instructors can add additional users to your Blackboard course in the following roles:
- Leader: The Instructor role has the highest level of privilege within an organization. The leader has access to everything in the organizations Control Panel along with the ability to add and remove other users.
- Assistant: The assistant is the rough equivalent of the Instructor. The assistant has access to everything in the course's Control Panel except for certain user management capabilities (such as the ability to and or remove users from the organization).
- Organization Builder: The organization builder role has access to the organization's Control Panel, but only to the content areas section. A leader would assign someone the organization builder role so that person could assist the leader in the creation of course content and some of the course management. The organization builder does not have access to the Grade Center.
- Grader: The grader role has access to the organization's Control Panel, but only to the assessment section. A grader would assist the leader in the creation, management, delivery, and grading of online assessments delivered through Blackboard. The grader does have access to the course Grade Center.
- Participant: This role is most like a student in a Blackboard course. They can access materials created and made available by the other roles and complete assessments. They appear in the Grade Center of the organization. They can not access the Control Panel of the organization or adjust the materials of the course.
It is not possible for a Leader to change a users role—despite the drop down menu that appears in the Manage Users page. To change a users role, the Leader must delete the existing enrollment (see below) and add the user back with the new role.
- Click on the "Manage Users" tool in the Users and Groups section of the Control Panel:
- A pop-up window will appear describing the tool. You can clear this by clicking the X at the upper right. To prevent the pop-up from appearing every time you use Manage Users, click on "preferences" in the gray section above and to the right of the user list and then "Submit:"
- To add users:
- Click the "Add" button at the upper left above the user list:
- This will open the Add Users window:
- Enter the NetID of the user you want to add. You can enter multiple usernames by separating them with commas, e.g., username1, username2, username3... If you don't know a person's username, you can use the Search section at the top.
- Here, you can search using one of several criteria: first name, last name, username or student ID number. Enter the criterion and click "Search."
- This brings you to the Search Results page with people that match the search criterion.
- If you can't find the user, try using a different search criterion and verify that they are not already enrolled in the course.
- Select the checkbox(es) of the user(s) you wish to have added.
- This brings you back to the Add Users page. The username(s) of the people you wish to add is/are listed in the username box.
- Select the desired role for the additional user(s).
- Click Submit.
Leaders can remove any user (except themselves) from the main manage users page by selecting the checkbox next to the desired user clicking "Remove from this Organization" in the upper left above the user list.
If you delete a participant from an organization, data associated with submissions to activities that appear in the grade center of the organization will be deleted from the system.