About Generic Accounts
Generic accounts are useful for several purposes: department email and/or calendaring, testing and/or other application support, and occasionally for cases where the account needs to be used by more than one person over time for a specific resource. Additionally, departments may request that a former employee's account be converted to a generic account so that content (email, saved files, etc.) can be managed.
Generic accounts are sponsored by the SU staff, faculty or student that is responsible for the use of the account.
Information for Active Directory OU Administrators
- You will be able to request NetID’s up to 20 characters long for this type of account (not for real people!). No need for an alias to support a long account name.
- A random password is set when the account is created.
- It is no longer necessary to create an e- account. The ability to create e- accounts in IWM is being removed.
- The SAMAccountname will match the NetID. No more e- prefix.
- The new generic account will be assigned a group name of either [OU]-Generic-Mailboxes or [OU]-Generic-Accounts, depending on the purpose noted in the account request form.
Instructions for Service Center consultants are in SUShare.