Before you connect
If you are connecting from a Windows computer
Download SURA to your Computer
- Go to the https://sura.syr.edu to download the SURA utility. Choose the download tab and download SURA. When prompted, save the sura.exe file to a location you will be able to easily find again on your local computer (such as your desktop or documents folder).
- There is more information about SURA on the help tab.
- Double-click on the SURA.exe file. Enter your SU NetID username and password in the appropriate fields and click Connect.
Enter your office computer's name in the Remote Desktop section of SURA
Enter your email address in the user name field, your NetID password in the password field.
You will be warned that "The certificate is not from a trusted certifying authority".
If you are connecting from a Mac computer
You will need to connect to SU's VPN, then you can use Microsoft Remote Desktop to control your office computer.
- Make sure you are running the current version of Microsoft Remote Desktop (MRD), available from the App Store. It is free to download and use.
- Instructions for downloading and installing the VPN are here:
- Create a new session in MRD using the image below as a template.
- Connection name is a name meaningful to you.
- PC name is the Full computer name of your office computer.
- Username is your @syr.edu email address.
- Password is your NetID password.
Once you create it click the red button in the top left to save it, then double-click the session to start it.